American Cities everywhere are faced with aging infrastructure such as streets and the storm water system which includes pump stations, flood warning gates and sump systems. It is also part of the challenges Dallas is facing but working each day to solve.
The 2006 Bond Program, Proposition 2 provides funding for the design and construction of Flood Protection and Storm Drainage Facility projects. Currently, Dallas has six pump stations in the downtown Dallas area: Able, Baker, Charlie, Delta, Hampton, and Pavaho; and the function of these stations is to pump the water that fills into the sumps on the dry side of the Dallas Levee System from storm drains and rain water into the Dallas Floodway. A seventh pump is planned for the future near the West Levee past Hampton Road in the downtown area. There is an additional pump station that serves the Rochester Levee located by William Blair Park.Interior Drainage Pump Stations Update
- Able Pump Station
- Able Pump Station is two stations serving the Central Business District Community. Small Able was originally built in 1932 and Large Able was built in 1954. Together they pump storm water at 220,000 Gallons Per Minute (GPM).
- Baker Pump Station
Baker Pump Station consists of Old Baker built in 1932 and New Baker built in 1975 it serves the Design District and Stemmons Corridor with current capacity of 600,000 GPM. The new pump station will accommodate approximately 700,000 GPM, bringing the total pumping capacity to 1,100,000 GPM. Construction began October 2012 for Baker Pump Station (3).
- Charlie Pump Station
- Charlie Pump Station built in early 1932 serves the area around the Bottom Community with a pumping capacity of 80,000 Gallons Per Minute (GPM). The new capacity for this station will accommodate approximately 225,000 GPM.
- Delta Pump Station
- Delta Pump Station built in early 1932 serves the West Dallas Community near Hampton Avenue Bridge with a pumping capacity of 80,000 Gallons Per Minute (GPM).
- Hampton Pump Station
- Hampton Pump Station is two stations with Old Hampton built in 1955 and New Hampton built in 1975. It serves the North West Dallas Community with a current capacity of 600,000 Gallons Per Minute (GPM). The new pump station will accommodate approximately 700,000 GPM and in this case, the combined pumping capacity will equate to 1,100,000 GPM.
- Pavaho Pump Station
Pavaho Pump Station which supports the storm drains along Canada Drive in West Dallas was constructed in the 1950s.
The original Pavaho Pump Station pumps at a capacity of 80,000 gallons of water per minute out of the sumps which fill with storm water during rain events. The new, high capacity $27 million Pavaho Pump Station will pump 375,000 gallons of water per minute.
The new pumping station alongside the original structure will provide outstanding reliability and lower maintenance which positively impacts the efficiency and cost of operating the station. Three high efficiency corrosion-resistant Concrete Volute pumps will generate an increase in power. These three pumps, when installed, will be the first of their type in use in America. The new station's pumps will be quiet delivering important elevated pumping capacity for neighborhoods and business districts in West Dallas. The funding for this project was approved in the 2006 Bond Program. City engineers worked with Jacobs Consultants and the station is being built by BAR Constructors, Inc.Pavaho Fact Sheet
- Rochester Pump Station
- Rochester Pump Station built in 1992 servers the Rochester Levee and the Central Wastewater Treatment Plant. It has a pumping capacity of 85,000 Gallons Per Minute (GPM).